You are welcome in this place...

The Believer

wenz

Other Believers

Our Daily Bread
Online Bible

Past Miracles

May 2005

June 2005

July 2005

August 2005

September 2005

October 2005

November 2005

December 2005

January 2006

February 2006

March 2006

April 2006

May 2006

June 2006

July 2006

August 2006

September 2006

October 2006

November 2006

December 2006

January 2007

April 2007

May 2007

July 2007

December 2007

February 2008

April 2008

May 2008

June 2008

July 2008

October 2008

July 2009

March 2010

July 2011

October 2011

Credits


Basecodes: detonatedlove♥
Image source: GettyImages, editted with MS Paint.
Designer: jingwen---
Thursday, June 09, 2005
14:58
Mary, the perfume, and the book of John

I've just been reading the book of John for my daily devotions, and have you ever felt that you read something new each time you open the bible, even though you have read it many times before? I did when I read the book of John for maybe the 3rd or 4th time. I used to wonder what was so different about each book of gospel, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John... they recount similar stories, maybe have slightly different variations, some have extra information.. but they are all in all about the same. Telling us of what Christ has done, how He came, how He was betrayed, how He was raised, of how He is our Saviour.

But as I opened the chapers of John through each night, I seem to know the stories, yet the details were so new to me, just as an example:
Did you know that the lady who washed Jesus' feet with perfume and her hair, is called Mary (of course you do! but I refused to believe it for a while due to many misunderstandings!)? And that despite what people say about it being Mary Magdalene, John 11:1-2 tells us that this lady is Mary, the sister of Martha, the sister of Lazarus (whom Christ raised from the dead). and we all happen to know so well the story of Mary and Martha, one who prefers to sit by Jesus' side to listen, while the other hustles and bustles about. I was surprised by myself, for not having picked this out before.

I remember having great arguments (well, not those shouting arguments, but the 'lets open the bible and find out who's right' kind of arguments) about who this Mary was. whether she was really Mary, and whether Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. Well, as far as I have checked through the scriptures, it doesnt say that Mary Magdalene is a prostitute but all that is said that she is the Mary who had 7 demons chased out of her (Luke 8:1-3)

well, I dunno why pple have interlinked all the marys together, and I dunno what my whole point really is, but I guess, what I wanted to say is that, it doesnt matter how many times you have read something, God will always reveal to you something new through something you think you know very well. It may be a big revelation, it may be small, and this to me, is big, because I can finally stand up and say "I KNOW WHICH MARY IT IS!!!" sounds trivial? Its important to know what the bible says, but its also easy to overlook little things in which God is trying to say. so the next time you read something, make sure you're actually reading it.
and maybe don't call your daughter Mary.. its just 'mary' confusing...