
|
The Believer
wenz
Other Believers Our Daily Bread Online Bible
Past Miracles
May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 April 2007 May 2007 July 2007 December 2007 February 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 October 2008 July 2009 March 2010 July 2011 October 2011
Credits Basecodes: detonatedlove♥ Image source: GettyImages, editted with MS Paint. Designer: jingwen--- |
Friday, May 12, 2006
22:14
crowding the idols? "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below." - Exodus 20:4 I was just watching the American idol (alright! stop laughing!) and was getting upset by the vote off of someone whom I think has a great voice. As I switched off the TV, I realised i was really getting quite worked up and was semi 'cursing' (not in any vulgar terms, just unhappiness) the other one whom I think should have gone off instead. I sat down on my desk, and went online to see if somehow, by any chance, I was being bluffed by the TV set tonight (I'm not normally like this.. haha. in case u are wondering.), and I came across this site where people where spitting out angry words about needing a recount (and in the process bad mouthing the other person I admired on the show) and the likes. I couldnt stop reading, the page went on and on, and soon, I felt myself sounding like the people, the angry and upset crowd of people, trying to speak out and yell at what I judged for myself, as unfairness. I became the crowd. After scrolling down (selective reading after the first 20 plus of course), I got to the bottom, and I had to peel my eyes off the screen to take a breath. I closed my eyes, and I wondered... "What on planet earth am I doing?!!??" Since when have I allowed myself to become so easily swayed by things that don't even mean anything to me? I took a step back and thought for a while. How much of my life these days has revolved around The One who truly matters to me? - I couldnt answer it. Then I decided to think about what has been happening to all my time nowadays that is rendering me tired and unable to physically and mentally spend time with God. I realised, I've been tagged. Tagged by the vicious cycle of idolising. Idolising everything else. My studies, my sleep, story books, my food, any success. Everything. I've put them all ahead of God. I've crowded all my energy around these new 'idols' and have placed God right in the "left over shelf". Even emotions about the American idol had come before God. So really, What on earth am I doing??? These "idols" may not sound big to you, and to be fair, each on its own does not occupy much of my life, but when more and more of them are put together, they take up a huge space. I have gathered for myself, a crowd of idols to fawn over. I don't want them anymore. I can't find myself in them, and I can't find my Lord in them. Do you feel the same? Lets get away from the crowd. Let's release ourselves from any idols we may make for ourselves, and return to God. |