
|
The Believer
wenz
Other Believers Our Daily Bread Online Bible
Past Miracles
May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 April 2007 May 2007 July 2007 December 2007 February 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 October 2008 July 2009 March 2010 July 2011 October 2011
Credits Basecodes: detonatedlove♥ Image source: GettyImages, editted with MS Paint. Designer: jingwen--- |
Friday, December 22, 2006
22:36
oh to be taken for granted.. What will happen if one day, your key stopped working and you couldn't get into your house? Or maybe your electricity cut and your world is plunged into darkness? How about your boiler (if you lived somewhere cold) or your air conditioner (if you lived somewhere hot).. what will happen to you if it stopped working? Will you freeze or boil with the weather? What will happen, if your refrigerator broke down and you couldn't keep any food in it? Or if your water supply was cut off and you couldn't have any water for a week? And what will happen if you didn't have your bible, or only had restricted access? Will it affect you the same way the loss of the other things you take for granted affected you? It got me thinking a little, when I lost my internet connection the last 2 days. For more than 48 hours in a row, I couldn't log on, and boy, was I frustrated. It's something that you take for granted isn't it? your computer, the internet. What will happen to you if you lost your connection or if your computer caught a bug? the end of the world? I was anxious to get on, and when the connection finally came back (Praise God!), all I did was check my mail and I reverted to playing spider solitaire in the same way I was when I didnt have the connection. So, why was I really frustrated? I guess it was just the thought of knowing that you have lost something that you take for granted. The temporary loss of access to the world outside my room made me realise 2 things. 1. That I take many many things for granted when I really should be counting my blessings one by one. 2. There really should be more to my life than sitting around mopping about all day. It made me recall the parable of the rich fool, in Luke 12:16-21. "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.' Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry" But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?" The parable, I guess, isn't used in this context much, as the moral of the story is more of learning not to store up things for yourself on earth and not doing things that "is not rich toward God", but really, its also about life isn't it? Oh, how we take life for granted. Life isn't all about sitting around minding your own business. And contrary to belief, it is actually very enjoyable hunting down explanations for God's word (u know who you are! thanks!), and indulging yourself in learning more about God! There is so much more to life, than just eating, drinking and being merry. But to know that, you have to be first willing to put down what you have and realise that being alive is already a blessing, and then everything else that seeks to frustrate you will soon pull away from you. To be given this revelation just by having 48 hours of no internet connection.. this is what I call a blessing. To realise what I've been taking for granted, everything around, and even this life within me! oh, to be taken for granted.. what is it that you are taking for granted? "The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life." - Job 33:4 |